Answered By: Mary Ann Cullen Last Updated: Feb 20, 2017 Views: 56
All Georgia State University students, faculty, staff can borrow books from all other University System of Georgia (USG) libraries through a service called GIL Express. You can borrow these books by going to the library in person or you can place a "GIL Express request" to have the book sent to the USG library of your choice. This service is free of charge. GIL Express books take 3-10 business days to arrive. You can return the items to any USG library.
Special collection items, most textbooks, electronic books and items other than books are not available for GIL Express borrowing. You can request articles and non-book media through interlibrary loan.
Here's how to place a GIL Express request using the GIL Universal catalog:
- In the GIL Universal Catalog (GIL UC), locate the book you would like to request and open the catalog page about the book. Make sure that the item's status is "Not Checked Out" for at least one of the locations listed and that it is a regular circulating item (e.g. not in a special collection or an electronic resource).
- Click the "Please Log in to enable GIL Express Requests" link in the Holdings tab. This will take you to the My Account login page.
- On the My Account Log in:
- Select Georgia State University from the "Home Institution" drop down box.
- Enter your Library ID or institution ID (Panther number) (Both are on your Panther card.)
- Your library PIN (What's my PIN?)
- Your last name. (Enter hyphenated last names with a space instead of a hyphen.)
- Click "Login".
- You will return to the item record page, but this time it will say "Place GIL Express Request" where it previously prompted you to log in.
- Select your pick up library (it can be any library in the USG), latest date you need the item and click "Submit Request"
- Check your library account to make sure the request was successful and to monitor the status of your request. When the status is "On hold," the item is ready to be picked up.
For more information:
~updated 2/2/17 mac