Answered By: Mary Ann Cullen Last Updated: Sep 05, 2019 Views: 207
All Georgia State University students, faculty, staff can borrow books from all other University System of Georgia (USG) libraries through a service called GIL Express. You can borrow these books by going to the library in person or you can place a "GIL Express request" to have the book sent to the USG library of your choice. This service is free of charge. GIL Express books take 2-10 business days to arrive. You can return the items to any USG library.
Special collection items, most textbooks, electronic books and items other than books are not available for GIL Express borrowing. You can request articles through interlibrary loan.
How to place a GIL Express request using the GIL Find catalog:
- In the GIL-Find catalog, with USG Libraries selected, locate the book you would like to request and click Check Holdings.
- Check Availability. In the "Get It" section, you will see a list of libraries that own the item and whether it is available for request. It should only show as available if it is not checked out and it is in the regular circulating item (e.g. not in a special collection or an electronic resource).
- If you aren't already logged into your library account, Sign In to log in with your campus ID and password. (The Sign in link is in the upper right of the window.)
- Click the arrow to the right of one of the libraries to get more information and to open a request box. (It may take some time to populate.)
- Click Request. (If you do not see the Request button, you are probably not signed in.)
- Select your pick-up location from the drop-down menu and click Request.
- Choose your Deliver To Library and Pickup Location, then click Request. (The other fields are optional and will not speed up your request.)
- Check your library account to make sure the request was successful and to monitor the status of your request. When the status is "On hold," the item is ready to be picked up.
For more information: